Safe Study was started by Georgina Bennett on the pavements of Victoria Yards during Covid-19 lockdown at a community soup kitchen in April 2020. We have been able to achieve capacity- building initiatives with our academic, enrichment, cultural and recreational activities through guided holistic learning for children
and young people.
Using Victoria Yard's vast pool of networks to resources and support, we have been able to use their events space to hold our Saturday school enrichment classes. We also run a food security initiative in order to support our children and their families. With support from SA Harvest and Nandos food initiatives, we have been able to provide nutritional meals to our children every Saturday. We aim to encourage sustainable consumption habits and educate our children on the source of their food.
OUR VALUES AND ACTIONS
- Equity and social cohesion
- Expanding and enhancing the minds of young people
- Respect, creativity and kindness
- Self-resilience and sustainability
- Weekend Academic support, cultural enrichment and recreational activities
- Art, Dance, Drama, Meditation & Yoga, Performance Theatre, Chess, Piano, Guitar and Trumpet, Homework support, Pottery,
creative writing and Garden Club.
- Exposing our children to artists and craftsmen to engage them in more artistic processes and creativity.
- The acquisition of educational, artistic and craft materials to run our programs as well as books for our library, performance
and theatre equipment, games, puzzles and digital learning tools.
- We currently have 80 children registered and attending Saturday School.
- Our goal is to expand our Safe Study school to other areas in South Africa with Cape Town as our hope for a second location.
To build better and stronger bridges of support and to provide quality and equitable education to enhance academic and cultural enrichment in a safe environment for the children of South Africa.
- The establishment of a permanent classroom and learning space fully equipped with a library, materials to run our programs,
and digital learning equipment such as computers, Ipads and smart boards.
- To run nutritional related community engagement activities with the aim of eradicating poverty and hunger amongst the
families in the community